John's Beer Blog

Originally named the 30 beers of November blog the Better Beer blog is the new and improved version. Which you can find Here.



Originally inspired by the documentary "Beer Wars" I set out to learn about the craft beer movement and blog about it here. These are the results.

Monday, August 8, 2011

"Old Foghorn Barelywine Style Ale" from Anchor Steam Brewing.

GO GIANTS.  Today was all about San Francisco. I pulled my boys out of school to take them to the Victory Parade.  After failing to find parking at two different BART stations I opted to take my car to a mechanic within walking distance of a station for a much needed oil change (and free parking).   After a very crowded train ride we made it to the Parade just in time to see all of the players roll by. 
When I think of San Francisco and beer I always think of Anchor Steam.   That is why I chose to profile Anchor Steam’s Old Foghorn (and because Foghorn is my youngest son’s nickname).  Old Foghorn Ale is a barley wine style ale.  Old Foghorn is dry hopped and ranks all the way to the right on the hop scale.
Like San Francisco’s beloved Giants this one hits it out of the park with bold flavor.  ABV hovers between 8 and 10%.  Foghorn is definitely for special occasions and just pouring one makes any occasion special.

No comments:

Post a Comment