John's Beer Blog

Originally named the 30 beers of November blog the Better Beer blog is the new and improved version. Which you can find Here.



Originally inspired by the documentary "Beer Wars" I set out to learn about the craft beer movement and blog about it here. These are the results.

Monday, August 8, 2011

"Double Bastard" Ale from Stone Brewing Company

When I ordered my "Double Bastard" with dinner my youngest son scolded me "DAD you said a bad word".   Funny that he would call me out on that of all words.  I explained that it wasn't a bad word when used in this light and he reluctantly let me off the hook.

I was trying to avoid using more than on beer from the same brewer for this adventure but Stone deserves an extra slot.  Where as the Epic 10.10.10 that I profiled on Day 2 was very interesting and a bit quirky the Double Bastard is a huge no nonsense ultra hoppy amber ale.

Would you like this beer???  Well, here is Stone's description from their website:

"We didn't brew this mordant dark amber monster to please anyone other than ourselves.  If you think you are truly Worthy (and if you have to ask yourself this question, you are most certainly not), then crack open a bottle, drink deeply, and bask in all its trenchant glory--but if you are befuddled by the polysyllabic lexicon of the Bastard, if your complacency and contented acquiescence to the soulless mendacity of national marketing pap causes you the least bit of hesitation, back away slowly and go buy something you saw advertised on TV.

That was good enough for me to try one and the beer follows through on their promise.  I thoroughly enjoyed it but had to order something a bit lighter for round two. 

If you are not in the San Diego area you can grab a Double Bastard at Samuel Hornes along with 15 other great beers on tap.  If you are in the San Diego area I highly suggest that you treat yourself to a visit to the brewery itself.  It reminds me of a
Beer Disneyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment